Monday, February 11, 2008

Hindustani Classical

Bangalore! a city, with discos, pubs and a good night life. (Ok! Ok! I know the city night life is till 11:30, but I know of some small places which stay open till 1 or 2 in the night. Sheesh….. It should me called till mid night life…) Now in this happening city there are many concerts, rock shows, shows and what not that keep. I have been to Aero-smith, Strings, Local Rock band competitions, Indian Ocean, Parikaram (with Saif Ali), Jonoon just to name few. But on Saturday I went for a Hindustani Classical show by Pandit Shivkumar Sharma (on Santoor) and Zakir Hussain (on Tabla).

I know this is completely a different genre of music, something people in India are going away form. A genre, that we generally attribute to old people, but let me tell you guys, you are wrong. I have being to many SPICMACAY programs and have seen these veterans do magic. Yesterday, I witnessed these two veterans do magic on the crowd of hundreds, mesmerizing and hypnotizing them. Well I was one of them (along with many more beautiful babes around me ;))

They started with playing some composition that had a cool soothing effect. After a while they stopped and told us that “It was a demonstration of tuning and sound balancing.” (God! I mean I can’t even play the guitar in tune and these guys I tell you can tune the instruments like they are playing music.) Then the music started. There were times when they were playing very slow and then they picked up the beats, finally the melodious crescendo would take us all to a new level. At times Zakir Hussain would tune his Tabla in the middle of the composition. He would pick up a small hammer and start hammering the Tabla. The best part was that he didn’t miss a beat, and hammered the Tabla along with the beat.
All n all it was an experience different from all the rest.
Ps. Go through the links with the names for more details.

5 comments:

  1. It's absolutely wonderful that you had the opportunity to see two of the most amazing musicians perform together. It's something that you can pass on to your grandchildren as a Grand-dad's classic tale :P

    Truly, sounds like a marvelous concert, I have had the chance of going to a few and they are beyond what words can possibly describe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smitten: It’s a great idea about the classic tale by dad and grand dad. ;) Well I sure would have a lot to tell my children and grand ones about a lot. And this definitely is one of them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I wanna beat you like Ustad beat his tabla.. Cant you tell e about it in advance?? NEway I have a tale about the Indian classical music too (u can share that as well with ur Grandchildren.) It was one of the most horrible acadamic day for me(I have seen 2-3 more days like that). I Have collected my marksheet of 5th sem with red circle and at the same day there was a concert on Pt. Ronu Majumdar in my college as SPICMAKAY's first event in my college.. I was totally upset and there was a grt disappointment on my face. Then one of my friend called me to the auditorium of Mechanical block. Sitting there I could not make out how those 3 hrs passed. I was again filled with positive energy.. and then on I never see any bad acadamic day in my whole life.. I dont know its a power of music or the aura of that reat personility bt then onwards I have a gr8 respect for Indian classical music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This music surely takes one to a trans state, just the magic of melody.. don't need words at times..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool now i get one more story to tell my grand childern... by the way dont worry i will tell them that its elgoogs.... :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog