Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Absentminded

There have been times when I was so absentminded that didn’t even realize that I am not wearing specs and thinking why the hell has the world blurred out?
Well it happens with me all the time. And the other day I was relived to hear it from a friend of mine that it’s same for him.
This is how the story unfolds:
He fell asleep one day. (every one does in full 24 hr some time sleep so what so great?) So this fellow was enjoying his dreamy sleep when, suddenly mom comes and shakes him saying, “Get up! How long will you sleep?” Just like a shaken up kid in the morning this fellow makes lots of faces, tries to get up. With dream still in his eyes he looks at the clock. Bang! He gets hit by a speeding locomotive. 7 ‘o Clock! 7 ‘o Clock! 7 ‘o Clock! (Gosh! Writing the same thing 3 times makes it more cool know. Just like that 3 shakes in the K type serials ;)) Dreams vaporized to nothingness as swiftly as the cartoon disappears with a cloud of smoke in place of itself. So our hero gets up wide eyed, goes to the toilet, brushes his teeth and shouts to his mom.

Kid: Mom! Moooooommmmm! Get the breakfast ready, will be out of bath in a sec.
(The guy goes in the bathroom, takes a quick bath. The poor fellow is confronted by his mom as soon as he gets out.)
Mom: “What are you doing?” (It was one of those demanding, scolding and threatening tones. She is some how looking odd, you know perplexed and hairan paresha types)
Kid: “Getting ready for school!” (A polite answer from a good school going kid)
Mom: Have you gone mad? (Still the expressions haven’t changed)
Kid: (thoughts bubble) she has to react like that on the day I have finished my homework and want to go to school. Why didn’t she say so yesterday when I didn’t do my Hindi home work and was punished in front of the full class? I even tried to fake fever….. Sheeshhh! Moms these days……
Mom: (cutting the kids thoughts) do you have any idea of the time? (She is still angry. And the kid still doesn’t know why)
(the kid looks at the clock and says meekly)
Kid : 7:30 (he is now trying hard to figure it out.)
Mom: its 7:30 in the evening. Dad will be home soon. And get yourself dry properly or you will fall sick and miss school tomorrow.
Mom goes away leaving behind a kid half happy and half amused.

But now we all laughed at this story of his.
But there was a part of me thinking, how many times I have done the same thing. How many times I have got eggs instead of bread, or studied for physics exam just to be told that it is chemistry (well the results were just as bad for physics as I lost interest), or realized in the end of the mid week holiday that its not Sunday. Come to think of it the list goes on and on and on…
That particular time is a bit embarrassing but mostly these times give us a heary laugh.

4 comments:

  1. Well, All I can say is you first deep fried, then prepare chutni with South Indian special spices, then blend it in a grinder and finally searved this story fuming-smoking hot.... Kahani puri Chatpati hai.... Tabhi to comments seedhe pet se nikal rahe hain :) I hope our friend "S" is still sleeping.. he he he..

    ReplyDelete
  2. During childhood it was an innnocent absent mindedness, just lost in sum other world, happy go lucky types!! Growing up i have realised we just deliberately want to be selectively attentive to sum parts of the 'real' world, imagination / fantasy gives us a convenient escape...
    Three things i am confidently absentminded about- keys, pin number/passwords, losing the most important paper and retaining the junk!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. elgoog: well our friend"S" has to read it.... he is the main character you know...

    raindrops: we all have this tendency of being forgetful... just that some agree and some blissfully ignore it....
    we all on the other hand agree to it and laugh at it too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Absent mindedness!!! No one can be better than me at that...

    #1
    ===

    I wake up from sleep, look at the wall clock. 5:30
    I go upto the bathroom sleepily, brush my teeth and do the... you know... regular toilet routine.

    Next I come out of the toilet Look here and there. Yawn. Go to the bedroom to see if dad was already up from sleep (and he is a very early riser)...
    My jaw practically dropped to the ground when I saw mom watching TV and Dad missing...

    "Where's Dad??" I ask blankly
    "He isn't back from office yet... why you ask?" my mom replies in obvious surprise. I just realised it was 5:45 pm in the evening :P

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog